THE CHALLENGE : PART II -1.2. Swami Chinmayananda


13/02/2019.
1.Introduction :-

"In a series of three talks Swami Chinmayananda addressed the students of Somayya College, Bombay, on the techniques of success. These talks were originally published in Tapovan Prasad in the year 1968."

Apart from technical perfection, we must have character, a cheerful outlook on life and a readiness to face all problems and challenges which confront us. Then alone can you become a personality which will attract others towards you. If my personality emanates noble qualities, a readiness to make sacrifices, to offer love, then others will be drawn to me.

All of us wish to become better than what we are. How can we improve our behavior and our daily conduct in life?

Even though we want to improve, we are unable to do so. We lose our temper, sometimes even with our mother and father. It is not that one is disloyal to them. Perhaps the situation at home is like that. No one seems to understand me. I am unhappy. A hundred things disturb me. Emotions gurgle out. I make a mess of my life. I make myself a dirty, filthy and ugly individual. Other students in the class hate me and distance themselves from me. May be I have no patience.

2. REMOVE THE NEGATIVE, CULTIVATE THE POSITIVE :-

What is it in me that repels others? These unwanted tendencies are called negative qualities. They lead to immoral or unethical actions. Just as there is a negative and a positive electric current, there are also negative and positive ideas. When negative ideas are expressed in my character, others will be repelled from me. If I can bring out in the expression of my life the fragrance of my positive qualities, then people will flow in attraction towards me.

It has been found true all over the world whether in South Africa or New York that  eople, of whatever caste, creed or colour, are magnetically pulled by certain qualities. These qualities which attract others are called positive qualities. When I am dealing with others, if I open out the sweetness of these qualities in my personality, I find that more and more people circle round me, love me and are ready to support me.

These positive qualities are there in all of us, but it is not sufficient that we just know about them. Every one of us knows about love, mercy, cheerfulness, kindness, joy and courage of convictions. We know it, but when we act, we do not express them; we do just the opposite.

To be continued


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL RELIGION : BREATHING AND MEDITATION - 2.

The Realisation of the Absolute :3-5-1

HINDU FASTS & FESTIVALS: 3 - Sri Swami Sivananda.